Motor Vehicle Collision Attorneys Serving Residents of West Palm Beach
Among the states, Florida has one of the highest rates of traffic fatalities, and many people are injured on its roads every year. Car accidents can have devastating consequences, including catastrophic injuries. After a crash, you may need to visit the doctor multiple times, but you may be too concerned about how you will pay these bills to take time off from work to rest and get any appropriate treatments. If you are injured in a car accident in the West Palm Beach area, you should consult an experienced lawyer to help you pursue compensation and put your mind at ease. At Anidjar & Levine, we have represented many motor vehicle collision victims, helping them get back on their feet after suffering serious injuries.
Holding a Negligent Driver Liable for Your Injuries
If you are hurt in a car accident in Florida, it is most likely the result of negligence or recklessness, rather than an intentional course of conduct. To prove negligence by another driver, you would have to establish by a preponderance of the evidence these elements: the other driver’s duty, a breach of duty, causation, and actual damages. Examples of a breach of duty may include texting while driving, fatigued driving, drunk driving, eating while driving, ignoring traffic rules such as running a red light, or failing to check one’s blind spot. There must be a causal connection between the breach of duty and the harm you suffered.
Compensatory damages available to a plaintiff who successfully proves negligence may include both economic and noneconomic damages. Economic damages typically cover tangible costs such as medical bills, out-of-pocket expenses, and lost income. Noneconomic damages consist of intangible losses, which may vary based on the subjective opinion of the jury assessing them. They often include pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life.
It is not uncommon for the other driver’s insurer to turn around and point the finger at a victim’s conduct, claiming that he or she was partially to blame. Florida follows the rule of comparative negligence. That means the jury will assess the total damages of the plaintiff, but also assign each party alleged to be responsible his or her percentage of fault. If you are not at all at fault and the damages are $100,000, you can potentially recover the full amount of damages. However, if the jury finds you 30% at fault and the other driver 70% at fault, you would only be able to recover up to $70,000 from the other driver.
Consult a West Palm Beach Lawyer after a Car Accident
The county seat of Palm Beach County in South Florida is the city of West Palm Beach, located about 68 miles north of downtown Miami. As of 2010, its population was about 100,000 residents. The city has a total area of 58 square miles. People who have been involved in a car crash in West Palm Beach can enlist the injury attorneys at Anidjar & Levine to assert their rights. We are dedicated to helping you pursue the compensation that you deserve. For a free consultation, call us at 800-747-3733 or contact us via our online form. We represent clients in many cities across Palm Beach County, including Boca Raton, Boynton Beach, Delray Beach, Wellington, and Palm Beach Gardens.